Class Teachers: Mrs Thomson - Spindle
Mrs Stow, Miss Millidine- Cherry
TAs: Mrs Morton and Miss Elwood
Welcome to year 5!
We hope you have had a wonderful summer and are excited about coming back at school. We are very much looking forward to our learning journey together this year.
A few house keeping bits
- Term starts on Tuesday 3rd September at 8.40am.
- Please ensure your child is in full school uniform, it is extremely helpful if it is labelled. This allows us to reunite your child with any lost property.
- For your information school ties can now be purchased from the school office.
- Please send your child to school with their PE kit from the first week, this can be kept in their locker and taken home every holiday to be washed. Once again it is vital this is named.
- In order for your child to achieve their full potential it is vital that they read at home daily. They will be given a reading record, once they have read, please date and sign. Remember they do not have to read a whole book at day, 15 to 20 minutes daily is sufficient.
- Even though at the moment it is still dry and sunny, the weather will change quickly. Please ensure your child has a rain coat in their bags for those odd showers we will be experiencing shortly.
- All of the year 5 team will be happy to answer any questions you have and are always happy to help if we can. If you would like to talk to your child's class teacher please come to the door (which is situated behind the EYFS playground, I'm sure your child can show you) and speak to the member of staff on the door. Please do not enter the corridor unless a member of staff allows you to do so. This is to keep all of our children safe.
We have an exciting term ahead of us. Our term 1 topic is Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. During this term we will be looking closely at the characters and settings, thinking about what makes us so special and digging deeper in to our author J.K Rowling.
We will be making magical wands from found objects around our wonderful outdoor environment. Also we will be thinking about ourselves and our personalities, we will be creating crests to represent our own perception of ourselves.
In maths this term we will be focusing on the fundamental of mathematics. We will be looking developing our understanding of place value (up to millions numbers), it is important we can read, say correctly and understand the value of each digit. We will also be deepening our understanding of the four operations and will aim to become more fluent in reasoning about our answers in a variety of different situations too.
In year five you are expected to...
- Read everyday, this needs to be recorded in your reading record and signed by an adult at home.
- Practice times tables.
- Projects are ongoing for the term. This term is J K Rowling.
- Maths or Literacy homework weekly.
- Spellings, remember you will have a weekly spelling test on a Monday.
P R I D E
Positivity Respect Integrity Diversity Endeavour
How will you show our core values today?